Friday, 18 January 2013

Balloon FISH

Ballon Fish
Rachel Curle
2012

My work reminds me of Chalayan's bubble dress. Chalayan used the same colour plastic balls were I have used different colour balloons. However my work can also relate to Yoyoi Kusama and her uses of dots. With this artwork had like an obsession with repeating the same process and object. In a way I do work like Kusama with having this obsession with dots as the balloons look like dots in the images I took.

           Since 1977 Kusama has lived voluntarily in a psychiatric institution, and much of her work has been marked with the obsessiveness and her desire to escape from psychological trauma. In an attempt to share her experiences, she creates installations that immerse the viewer in her obsessive vision of endless dots and nets or infinitely mirrored space. www.tate.org.uk 

This quote is from the Tate modern website and it explains Yayoi Kusama obsession and why she does her work. By telling us that she has been in a mental home we know that her obsession effects her art work just like me when I had an obsession during my practice with repeating balloons. 

Yayoi Kusama The Passing Winter 2005 © Yayo Kusama courtesy Victoria Miro Gallery, London

Yayoi Kusama 
The passing winter 
2005


No comments:

Post a Comment